Reimbursements take up to one month from the time of processing for funds to be received so, please plan accordingly and allow SNRI and other involved entities the adequate time to process your request.
SNRI abides by the Purchasing Policy & Procedures established by the University of California. All general reimbursement expenses claimed must be accompanied by an original, itemized receipt detailing the item, quantity, unit price, and method of payment. If you are claiming reimbursement for printing expenses do make sure to include electronic attachments of what materials were printed. General Reimbursement forms may be found here.
You may wish to utilize the UCM Procurement page to assist in your purchasing.
While purchase orders are the preferred method of payment, general reimbursements may be utilized on an emergency basis.
Travel Reimbursement forms may be found here and must be completed before turning in to the SNRI staff. SNRI abides by the UC Travel Policy G-28 established by the University of California and may assist in pre-purchasing travel expenses involving airfare and conference registrations. Otherwise, all other travel-related expenses must be purchased by the individual traveling.
Please follow the below tips when requesting travel reimbursement:
- Travelers must purchase coach seating for airfare expenses; otherwise, please provide a doctor's note accompanying a purchase for additional leg room.
- Please identify on reimbursement form if an SNRI or TAPS rental vehicle was used for your trip. If a TAPS vehicle was used, please provide the email confirmation.
- Loss damage waiver and roadside assistance expenses for vehicle reservations, other than SNRI and TAPS vehicles, are non-reimbursable due to preferred vehicle reservation vendors including those options in their discounted UC-contracted rates.
- If a personal vehicle was driven, claim mileage reimbursement - not fuel expenses. The current reimbursable mileage rate is $0.545/mile. A Google Maps route, identifying departure and destination locations is required.
- Final paid receipt is required, estimates are not acceptable. The receipt must show class of car, policy allows for Intermediate and below. If Full Size and above purchased, there must be a note/explanation included asto why a larger vehicle was required.
- For all taxi/shuttle/train expenses, please identify departure and destination locations if not identified on the receipt. Receipts are required if the amount is > $75
- UC parking permits are honored at all UC campuses and, thus, parking permits to other UC campuses will not be reimbursed without justification. All other parking expenses will require a receipt of > $75
- For lodging expenses, a folio/receipt with a zero ending balance is required. Please ensure your rates comply with the per diem rates online (currently capped at 275 dollars). Lastly, the traveler must be > 40 miles from the destination location for lodging expenses to be applicable.
- All non-travel related items purchased during travel must be submitted as a general reimbursement. Such as research supplies. These items will be treated as a one-time purchase.
- Personal items will not be reimbursed (ex: toiletries).
- Meal expenses are reimbursable if the duration of the travel was longer than 24 hours - except for entertainment expenses. Meals are reimbursed at the maximum rates: breakfast ($27), lunch ($47), dinner ($81), and light refreshments ($19). Please note alcohol is unallowable unless pre-approval was received.
- For any missing itemized, original meal receipts, please complete the Missing Original Receipts Reimbursement Form.
- Prior to purchasing conference registration, please ensure if meals/dinner is included as a package that alcohol is not included. If so, please request it be removed.
- Submitting a copy of your travel, meeting or conference agenda to email@example.com is a requirement.
- Entertainment expenses must be accompanied by an original, itemized receipt, attendee list of names and affiliation, agenda, and justification to the project being charged. Please note entertainment expenses must comply with the maximum rates for meals mentioned above.
- If the traveler co-traveled with another traveler(s), please identify their name(s) and identify what expenses they/you covered (transportation, shared lodging room).
- University travelers shall not be reimbursed for expenses paid on behalf of others, except in the case of co-traveling (transportation and shared lodging room only).
- Travel reimbursement requests must be submitted to SNRI within 15 days from the last date of travel to meet the UC travel reimbursement deadline. UC travel policy mandates that travel reimbursements must be processed within 45 days from the last day of travel. Failure to abide by the deadline may result in delayed processing, changes to the amount reimbursed, or rejection of the reimbursement altogether. Travels submitted 45 days to 6 months late must provide a detailed explanation of why the expense report is being submitted late.
- Six months or more requires an exception to policyto be approved by the controller.
All itemized, original receipts should be mailed or delivered to SNRI at the below address:
Sierra Nevada Research Institute
5200 N Lake Rd
Merced, CA 95340
You may wish to utilize rental vehicle vendors who attain discounted UC-contracted rates. Please visit the Risk Services webpage containing the codes to provide to the vendor.