Reimbursements take up to one month from the time of processing for funds to be received therefore please plan accordingly and allow SNRI and other involved entities the adequate time to process your request. Reimbursement forms must be completed before turning in to the SNRI staff.
General Reimbursement forms may be found here.
- SNRI abides by the Purchasing Policy & Procedures established by the University of California.
- All general reimbursement expenses claimed must be accompanied by an original, itemized receipt detailing the item, quantity, unit price, and method of payment. If you are claiming reimbursement for printing expenses do make sure to include electronic attachments of what materials were printed.
- You may wish to utilize the UCM Procurement page to assist in your purchasing.
- While purchase orders are the preferred method of payment, general reimbursements may be utilized on an emergency basis.
- All non-travel related items purchased during travel must be submitted as a general reimbursement.
- For example research supplies will be treated as a one-time purchase.
- Note: Personal items will not be reimbursed (ex: toiletries).
Note: Purchasing a meal for a large group can be classfied as entertainment.
Entertainment expenses must be accompanied by an original, itemized receipt, attendee list of names and affiliation, agenda, and justification to the project being charged. Please note entertainment expenses must comply with the maximum rates for meals mentioned below.
- Meals are reimbursed at the maximum rates per person for the entertainment (organized group meal): breakfast ($27), lunch ($47), dinner ($81), and light refreshments ($19). Please note alcohol is unallowable unless pre-approval was received.
Travel Reimbursement forms may be found here.
- SNRI abides by the UC Travel Policy G-28 established by the University of California and may assist in pre-purchasing travel expenses involving airfare and conference registrations.
- Otherwise, all other travel-related expenses must be purchased by the individual traveling.
- Travel reimbursement requests must be submitted to SNRI within 15 days from the last date of travel to meet the UC travel reimbursement deadline. UC travel policy mandates that travel reimbursements must be processed within 45 days from the last day of travel. Failure to abide by the deadline may result in delayed processing, changes to the amount reimbursed, or rejection of the reimbursement altogether. Travels submitted 45 days to 6 months late must provide a detailed explanation of why the expense report is being submitted late.
Note the following rules and restrictions for travel reimbursement:
Travelers must purchase coach seating for airfare expenses; otherwise, please provide a doctor's note accompanying a purchase for additional leg room.
- Meal expenses are reimbursable if the duration of the travel was longer than 24 hours.If traveling, the maximum rate for spending is $62 per day on items such as meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner, and light refreshments.
- Please identify on reimbursement form if an SNRI or TAPS rental vehicle was used for your trip. If a TAPS vehicle was used, please provide the email confirmation.
- Loss damage waiver and roadside assistance expenses for vehicle reservations are non-reimbursable for vehicles other than SNRI and TAPS vehicles.
- If a personal vehicle was driven, claim mileage reimbursement - not fuel expenses. The current reimbursable mileage rate is $0.56 /mile. . A Google Maps route, identifying departure and destination locations is required.
- Final paid receipt is required, estimates are not acceptable. The receipt must show class of car, policy allows for Intermediate and below. If Full Size and above purchased, there must be a note/explanation included asto why a larger vehicle was required.
- For all taxi/shuttle/train expenses, please identify departure and destination locations if not identified on the receipt. Receipts are required if the amount is > $75
- A folio/receipt with a zero ending balance is required. Please ensure your rates comply with the per diem rates online (currently capped at 275 dollars). The traveler must be > 40 miles from the destination location for lodging expenses to be applicable.
- If the traveler co-traveled with another traveler(s), please identify their name(s) and identify what expenses they/you covered (transportation, shared lodging room).
- For any missing itemized, original meal receipts, please complete the Missing Original Receipt Reimbursement Form.pdf
- Submitting a copy of your travel, meeting or conference agenda to email@example.com is a requirement.
- Prior to purchasing conference registration, please ensure if meals/dinner is included as a package that alcohol is not included. If so, please request it be removed, SNRI does not provide reimbursements for alcoholic purchases.
- University travelers shall not be reimbursed for expenses paid on behalf of others, except in the case of co-traveling (transportation and shared lodging room only).
- 6 months or more requires an exception to policy to be approved by the controller.
- UC parking permits are honored at all UC campuses and, thus, parking permits to other UC campuses will not be reimbursed without justification.
All itemized, original receipts should be mailed or delivered to SNRI at the below address:
Sierra Nevada Research Institute
5200 N Lake Rd
Merced, CA 95340
You may wish to utilize rental vehicle vendors who attain discounted UC-contracted rates. Please visit the Risk Services webpage containing the codes to provide to the vendor.